Barbara focuses her regulatory and litigation practice on counseling clients on land use issues and helping to bring their projects to completion.
She combines her experience in the public and private sectors to counsel clients on project development and natural resources-related matters.
Barbara has experience with the Administrative Procedure Act, the Indian Long Term Leasing Act, the National Historic Preservation Act, and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
Before joining B&D, Barbara worked in private practice within the Indian Law and Environment and Energy Practice groups. She advised companies under NEPA and assisted a Tribe in developing a strategy for resolving regulatory and permitting issues under the Clean Water Act. Previously Barbara was a staff attorney for the National Indian Gaming Commission where she worked with Tribes and gaming management companies to ensure compliance with the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act.
Barbara also worked in the U.S. Department of Justice as a Trial Attorney for over a decade. She defended the United States against breach of trust, environmental, and Fifth Amendment takings claims and in cases involving tribal recognition, land-into-trust decisions, and water rights.
- American University (J.D., magna cum laude)
- DePaul University (M.M.)
- North Park University (B.A.)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court – District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court - Maryland
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Virginia
- DC Bar Association, Regulations/Rules/Board Procedures Committee
- Native American Bar Association DC
- Board Member, Alliance for New Music-Theatre, Washington, DC
- Commissioner, City of Alexandria Park and Recreation Commission
Honors & Awards
- Professional Service Award, National Indian Gaming Commission, 2021
- Special Commendations for Outstanding Service, DOJ Environment and Natural Resources Division, 2013, 2017