David's practice focuses on major project and infrastructure development, including environmental reviews, permitting, and approvals from federal and state natural resources agencies, and litigation of project decisions and policies.
He counsels clients on regulatory matters and litigation involving the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), climate change, water, wetlands, project planning, permitting, construction, mitigation, land use, air, contaminated sites, and mobile source air toxics and related health impacts. He also works on cutting-edge technological advances such as autonomous and connected vehicles. David co-chairs the firm’s Infrastructure and Real Estate practice. He serves on the California Lawyers Association's Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee. David also serves as General Counsel to the Contra Costa Transportation Authority.
In 2019, California Governor Newsom reappointed David as a justice on the California Courts-Martial Appellate Panel where he is responsible for hearing criminal appeals involving California Guard and Reserve personnel. David was first appointed to the four-year term position in 2015 by then-Governor Brown.
Before joining B&D, David served as Assistant Chief Counsel at the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) from 2007-2014 and was the Department's most senior environmental attorney. He led a team in litigating for and providing advice to the Governor’s office and Caltrans' staff involving complex environmental, regulatory, permitting, Native American, and real estate development issues on multi-million dollar transportation projects.
Before joining Caltrans, David served with the U.S. Air Force, retiring after 21 years of active service. He held positions such as the Chief of the Air Force Environmental & Tort Litigation Branch; the Base Staff Judge Advocate at Beale Air Force Base, California; and the Deputy Staff Judge Advocate at Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri, where he also managed the environmental law program. While with the Air Force, David also served for two years as Special Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Environmental & Natural Resources Division of the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, DC.
David frequently speaks on panels about environmental law issues, as well as autonomous and connected multi-modal transportation. He volunteers time to organize and participate on panels at California law schools where he discusses the importance of diversity in the practice of environmental law.
- California State University - Long Beach (B.S., 1984)
- Business Administration
- Golden Gate University (M.B.A., 1988)
- University of California - Davis (J.D., 1993)
- University of Utah (LL.M., 1999)
- Environmental and Natural Resources Law
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Central District of California
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of California
- American Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- California Lawyers Association
- San Francisco Bar Association
- Sacramento County Bar Association
- Placer County Bar Association
- Wiley W. Manuel Bar Association
- California Association of Black Lawyers
- Transportation Research Board Committee Member
- Association of Environmental Professionals
- Institute of Transportation Engineers