Jose focuses his practice on environmental due diligence counseling for business and real estate transactions, while maintaining a diverse litigation and regulatory case load.
He counsels clients on a range of environmental matters across sectors, including environmental due diligence, regulatory compliance, enforcement defense, oil spill investigation and cleanup, property and Brownfields remediation, and litigation.
Prior to law school, Jose worked as an environmental scientist for a national environmental consulting company, where he conducted site surveys and prepared Phase I Environmental Site Assessments, asbestos assessment reports, and lead-based paint reports.
Prior to joining B&D, Jose worked as an associate attorney in due diligence counseling, regulatory matters including zoning and land use, and litigation. He has provided counsel to Fortune 100 clients with environmental due diligence and project development. Jose has also represented parties in mass environmental tort matters in state and federal courts.
During law school, Jose served as a litigation intern for the Environmental Protection Bureau at the Office of New York Attorney General and interned for both the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (Region II) and the NYC Department of Environmental Protection.
- Binghamton University (B.A., 2006)
- Environmental Studies; Philosophy (double major)
- New York Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2011)
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court - New Jersey
- American Bar Association, Section of Environmental, Energy & Resources, Member (2017–Present)
- New York State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section, Member (2010–Present), Environmental Justice Committee, Co-Chair (2017–Present)
- Dominican Bar Association, Member (2016–Present)
- Hispanic Bar Association (2020–Present)
Jose represents an undocumented minor from Guatemala facing deportation in Immigration Court. As part of her claim to remain in the United States under Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) Status, he first had to convince the Nassau County Family Court to appoint her mother as legal guardian, which he successfully accomplished in June 2019. The deportation case is still pending in Immigration Court.
Each year since 2011, he has participated as a Volunteer Judge in the Suffolk County Board of Cooperative Educational Services' (BOCES) Middle School Mock Trial Competition.
Additionally, he co-chairs the Environmental Justice Committee for the New York State Bar Association’s Environmental & Energy Law Section, and regularly speaks about and give presentations on Environmental Justice issues affecting New Yorkers.
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, New York Rising Star (2020)
- New York State Bar Association, Diversity Fellowship in Environmental Law, Recipient (2010)
- Spanish (fluent)
“We Built This City on Rock and Roll” – Risk Management and Project Financing R.E. Transaction. NYS Bar Association’s Environmental & Energy Law Section, September 23, 2019. (Moderator/Panelist)
If You BUILD It, Will They Come? A Look at the 2018 Congressional Reauthorization of the Federal Brownfields Program and Other Amendments to CERCLA. Environmental Law in New York, May 2019. (Author)
Environmental Justice: Enforcement & Advocacy. NYS Bar Association’s Environmental & Energy Law Section, January 18, 2019. (Moderator/Coordinator)
Brownfield/Superfund Update 2018: BUILD Act and new BFPP Protections to Tenants. NYS Bar Association’s Environmental & Energy Law Section, December 5, 2018. (Panelist/Speaker)