Environmental Crimes Defense
- Representing a real estate development company and its executive in a federal criminal investigation of CWA and RCRA violations arising from on-site industrial demolition activities. Following an internal investigation, the federal prosecutor declined to prosecute.
- Defending a food grease recycling company and its executive charged with CWA felonies. Successfully negotiated a probationary sentence for the individual and a nominal fine for the company.
- Conducting an internal investigation following a pipeline rupture and release into a river. Felony charges were avoided, with a misdemeanor plea and fine.
- Representing a crew member/engineer of a cruise ship in an investigation relating to illegal bilge water discharges. No criminal charges were brought against this individual.
White Collar Defense
- Defending a hedge fund manager in a federal fraud and tax investigation.
- Defending a dentist accused of criminal tax evasion.
- Defended an executive accused of securities fraud involving a $2.9 billion loss, and a related obstruction of justice, in two separate, multi-week trials.
- Defended a tax lawyer accused of tax crimes arising from his counseling of off-shore trusts. After a lengthy trial, the jury acquitted the client of all charges.
- Defended various executives in various criminal antitrust investigations in the carbon graphite industry, the rubber belt manufacturing industry, and the shipping industry.
- Represented one of the Duke Lacrosse players in state criminal investigation and successfully avoided criminal charges to be brought, and helped manage and respond to the high-profile media campaign.
Experience listed here includes work done at prior law firms.