Environmental Crimes Defense
- Represented an international lens manufacturing company in a federal environmental criminal investigation surrounded unpermitted pretreatment discharges into the sewer in violation of the Clean Water Act (CWA). Following an extensive internal investigation, no felony charges were brought against the company or any individuals, and the company was permitted to plead guilty to a negligent misdemeanor.
- Defended an executive and hazardous waste brokerage company in a federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) prosecution, which resulted in a misdemeanor plea for the individual, and a felony plea that avoided a million dollar restitution claim.
- Represented a real estate development company and its executive in a federal criminal investigation of CWA and RCRA violations arising from on-site industrial demolition activities. Following an internal investigation, the federal prosecutor declined to prosecute.
- Defended a food grease recycling company and its executive charged with CWA felonies. Successfully negotiated a probationary sentence for the individual and a nominal fine for the company.
- Conducting an internal investigation following a pipeline rupture and release into a river. Felony charges were avoided, with a misdemeanor plea and fine.
- Representing a crew member/engineer of a cruise ship in an investigation relating to illegal bilge water discharges. No criminal charges were brought against this individual.
White Collar Defense
- Defending a former executive of an international computer technology marketing company in a mail and wire fraud investigation.
- Representing various executives in a pending tax investigations.
- Defended a pharmaceutical wholesaler against a federal healthcare fraud investigation which resulted in no charges ever being filed.
- Represented numerous lawyers in federal criminal fraud investigations and prosecutions surrounding both banking and other real estate violations.
- Defended a hedge fund manager in a federal fraud and tax investigation.
- Defended a dentist accused of criminal tax evasion.
- Defended an executive accused of securities fraud involving a $2.9 billion loss, and a related obstruction of justice, in two separate, multi-week trials.
- Defended a tax lawyer accused of tax crimes arising from his counseling of off-shore trusts. After a lengthy trial, the jury acquitted the client of all charges.
- Defended various executives in various criminal antitrust investigations in the carbon graphite industry, the rubber belt manufacturing industry, gypsum manufacturing industry, and the shipping industry.
- Represented many licensed professionals in federal criminal cases, as well as related licensing disputes relating to securities, investments, banking, law, accounting, nursing, and medical.
- Represented one of the Duke lacrosse players in state criminal investigation and successfully avoided criminal charges to be brought, and helped manage and respond to the high-profile media campaign.
- Represented one of the Carolina Panthers cheerleaders in a state criminal investigation, which involved a high-profile response, and which resulted in a deferred prosecution.
“The strength of any defense to a federal criminal prosecution starts long before the investigation begins. Every company and every executive can build the strongest foundation for a successful defense by making sure it is self-governing and transparent.”
Experience listed here includes work done at prior law firms.