Prior results do not guarantee future outcomes.
Highlights of Randy’s career at the District of Columbia Water and Sewer Authority (DC Water) include:
- Leading the legal team that finalized a major multimillion dollar Intergovernmental Municipal Agreement (IMA) designed to equitably distribute wastewater treatment costs at DC Water’s Blue Plains Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant amongst the neighboring jurisdictions, the largest plant of its kind in the world, averaging 370 million treated gallons per day, and over one billion gallons per day at peak flow.
- Playing a major role in the development and execution of a $2.6 billion consent decree modification incorporating innovative green initiatives.
- Successfully securing the denial of class certification in major class action and winning significant summary judgment motion in lead in water case.
- Providing the legal underpinnings and ongoing legal review for the $950 million Enhanced Nutrient Removal Project designed to reduce the level of nitrogen from the cleansed wastewater that DC Water discharges to the Potomac River, after which Blue Plains will produce effluent with some of the lowest levels of nitrogen in the country.
- Leading all significant corporate governance issues affecting DC Water.
- Conducting investigations in civil and criminal matters, and worked in parallel with appropriate law enforcement agencies.
- Providing legal support for the world’s largest Thermal Hydrolysis Combined Heat and Power Project – the first in North America – at the Blue Plains Plant, a $440 million project that harnesses the wastewater treatment process to generate a net 10MW of electricity – providing one-third of the plant’s energy needs, resulting in savings of $10 million - $15 million annually in energy costs.
Highlights of Randy’s career as the Metropolitan St. Louis Sewer District's (MSD) lead attorney include:
- Playing a major role in finalizing a $4.7 billion Consent Decree with the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and Missouri Department of National Resources, involving overflow issues and environmental impact.
- Supplying the legal underpinnings for a fifteen year, $3.7 billion Capital Improvement and Replacement Program.
- Successfully representing MSD in matters involving personal injury, property damage, environmental issues, construction issues, environmental and safety compliance, human relations and labor issues, and collection matters.