Stacey advises clients on environmental compliance due diligence, environmental enforcement, corporate social responsibility, non-financial reporting, and environmental justice.
Drawing on her diverse litigation and regulatory experience in government and private practice, Stacey focuses on:
- Corporate environmental due diligence, including environmental compliance programs, environmental audits, and environmental management systems.
- Corporate social responsibility strategies and program development, including those related to corporate sustainability, circular economy implementation, and environmental justice, with a focus in the energy, electronics, and technology sectors.
- Mandatory environmental disclosures, voluntary non-financial reporting, and green marketing in accordance with domestic reporting requirements (e.g., FTC Green Guides) and global standards (e.g., GRI, SASB, CDP).
- Federal environmental enforcement, with experience representing clients facing federal investigations and overseeing compliance measures in court-appointed monitorships.
- Regulatory compliance for utilities and municipalities involving the Clean Water Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act, National Environmental Policy Act, and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1965.
Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Justice
Stacey provides an array of corporate social responsibility and sustainability services to help clients meet requirements and demand for ethical, sustainable practices —including circular economy, supply chain, and environmental justice (EJ) initiatives. Stacey is a leader of the firm’s Environmental Justice practice and works with clients in the energy and technology sectors to develop comprehensive, company-wide EJ policies, programs, and implementation frameworks. Stacey has written and spoken on corporate social responsibility, sustainability, and EJ issues, including authoring a chapter on the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals for the International Bar Association’s text on Corporate Social Responsibility.
Federal Government Experience
Stacey re-joined B&D in February 2017, immediately following her political appointment as Special Counsel in the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Office of General Counsel (OGC), where she worked directly with the General Counsel to coordinate OGC’s internal activities, in addition to serving as OGC’s primary liaison for external federal, state and private sector stakeholder engagement. Stacey also served as a senior member of the EPA oversight response team, where she provided legal and strategic guidance on congressional investigation and hearing preparation (including for the EPA Administrator and Deputy Administrator), White House and interagency coordination, and crisis management and strategic communications. In this capacity, Stacey played a key role in the Agency’s incident response and crisis management of such diverse matters as the Flint drinking water crisis, the Gold King Mine spill, and the legal defense of the Clean Power Plan and Clean Water Rule.
During a temporary move overseas August 2019-May 2021, Stacey founded Global Environmental Solutions Consulting, LLC and worked closely with B&D as an independent environmental consultant. She is Chair of B&D's Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee.
- Harvard University (A.B., 2005)
- Political Science, French
- Howard University (J.D., 2011)
- District of Columbia
- New York
Stacey holds leadership roles with the American Bar Association (Chair, Membership Diversity Enhancement Program), National Bar Association, and the Environmental Law Institute (Chair, Emerging Leaders Initiative).