Alex helps solve product and project environmental, health, and safety problems.
When environmental, health, and safety (EHS) laws and regulations do not contemplate today’s products or projects, Alex works with clients to advance novel solutions. He often advises on the application of these requirements and securing and implementing associated government authorizations, including under state and local extended producer responsibility (EPR) regimes, medical waste, hazardous waste, or solid waste requirements, Pennsylvania environmental laws, and the federal Endangered Species Act (ESA). Alex counsels clients in the product stewardship, reverse logistics, pharmaceutical and medical device, waste, and energy industries at all product or project development stages, including planning, permitting, and implementation. He also represents clients in legislative, rulemaking, and other regulatory efforts affecting their operations.
Alex often represents groups of companies working together to address EHS issues. Among other work for trade associations or company coalitions, he provides environmental regulatory and other services to the Pharmaceutical Product Stewardship Work Group, a membership association for pharmaceutical companies, and MED-Project, which provides for the collection and disposal of household pharmaceutical products under local and state take-back legislation.
His representative matters include:
- Advising on the development and implementation of product stewardship programs, negotiating stewardship program approval with government agencies, and drafting related legislation and regulations.
- Counseling on the management of pharmaceutical products and medical devices under hazardous waste, medical waste, solid waste, and controlled substance requirements.
- Drafting and negotiating contracts for medical or other waste management and disposal services.
- Advising on compliance with various Pennsylvania environmental laws, including hazardous and solid waste requirements.
- Representing a coalition of energy companies on the development of a habitat conservation plan under the ESA and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- Advocating in ESA species listing actions.
- Member of team securing favorable award in Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) data compensation dispute.
Alex is located near Harrisburg, PA, and practices out of our Washington, D.C. office.
- Gettysburg College (B.S., magna cum laude, 2010)
- Environmental Studies, Political Science
- College of William and Mary (J.D., summa cum laude, 2013)
- Order of the Coif
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Pennsylvania Bar Association, Environmental and Energy Law Section
Honors & Awards
- 2021-2023 "Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch," a Best Lawyers® publication, for Environmental Law