We represent the oil and gas industry on all aspects of environmental, federal lands, and natural resources regulation, permitting, enforcement, and litigation.
At a time when technological innovation is fueling a huge boom in U.S. oil and gas production, changes to regulations are creating uncertainties that can make it difficult to move projects forward on schedule. Beveridge & Diamond helps the oil and gas sector bring projects online and manage regulatory challenges in the most environmentally protected, cost-effective, and timely manner possible.
As the nation’s oldest and largest environmental law firm, we have a unique and historical understanding of the industry and the requirements needed to successfully explore, develop, transport, and refine oil and gas. Lawyers in our oil and gas practice have worked as in-house counsel for oil refineries, natural gas producers, and pipeline companies and held senior positions with federal government agencies that regulate the industry, including the Department of the Interior, the Department of Justice, and the Federal Highway Administration.
We assist clients ranging from major oil refiners and pipeline companies to small oil and natural gas producers in matters as large as the global development of new drilling technologies and nationwide enforcement actions, and as small as obtaining individual well permits. Our experience and expertise in the oil and gas industry allow us to solve upstream, midstream, and downstream issues for clients quickly and efficiently using litigation, agency interaction, and rulemaking.
B&D assists oil and gas industry clients with matters that include:
- Onshore and offshore federal leasing and development.
- Permitting for oil and gas drilling, hydraulic fracturing, and operations.
- Pipeline planning and construction.
- Unconventional oil and gas resources.
- Land use and zoning due diligence and permitting.
- Royalty payment and enforcement.
- Rights-of-way on federal and tribal lands.
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), state NEPA, and other environmental impact reviews.
- Air quality for oil and gas facilities.
- Water, wetlands, and wells permitting and regulation.
- Endangered species, migratory birds, wildlife protection, and enforcement.
- Civil and criminal penalties defense.
- Bonding and decommissioning.
- Commenting on proposed federal rulemakings.
- Administrative and judicial appeals of adverse agency decisions.
- Defending project approvals and permits.