As one of the nation’s leading environmental law firms, it is natural that B&D would take a leadership role in sustainability for law office management. In its offices across the country, B&D translates its values into action, improving the firm’s sustainability and reducing its environmental impacts. Key examples of our sustainability efforts and accomplishments include:
- Participating in the Lawyers for a Sustainable Economy initiative, pledging to provide $500,000 worth of pro bono legal services by the end of 2020 in support of environmental sustainability.
- Serving on the Leadership Council of the Law Firm Sustainability Network (LFSN), a non-profit founded in 2011 to develop key performance indicators, foster knowledge-sharing, develop best practice guidelines, and recognize innovation regarding environmental sustainability in law firms. B&D Principal and Green Team Chair Dan Krainin serves as President of LFSN.
- Participating in the creation of the LFSN’s American Legal Industry Sustainability Standard (ALISS), a web-based tool designed to help law offices assess and improve their sustainability programs. B&D completed its ALISS assessment and received a Silver ranking, reflecting its strong sustainability achievements and ongoing efforts.
- Participating at the “Leadership” level in U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)’s Green Power Partnership, purchasing Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) in an amount equivalent to 100% of its electricity usage across all of its offices nationwide.
- Purchasing Energy Star-compliant computer equipment and appliances that meet efficiency standards set by EPA and the U.S. Department of Energy. We donate for reuse or recycling all of the firm’s old computer equipment.
- In all offices, using paper containing 30-100% post-consumer recycled content for all standard printing and copying.
- Adopting a formal, comprehensive sustainability policy, which guides internal operations and engagements with key vendors.
"Law Firm Sustainability: Creating a Robust Sustainability Program," Leadership Exchange, March 2019
"Future Looks Bright for Law Firm Sustainability Programs," Bloomberg Law, January 2019
“LFSN Releases First Round ALISS Sustainability Assessments: Key Insights from ALISS Report,” Law Firm Sustainability Network, September 2017
“3 Easy Ways for a Law Firm to Reduce its Environmental Footprint,” Bloomberg Law, April 2016
“Law Office Sustainability - The Next Generation,” American Bar Association Natural Resources & Environment, October 2015
“Law Firm Network Is Striving To Make It Easier To Be Green,” New Jersey Law Journal, August 2013