Clients come to us when they absolutely, positively must get a favorable result in litigation, at trial, or on appeal.
- Focus on environmental, nuisance, toxic tort (including mass tort/class action), citizen suit, and product liability litigation
- Decades of experience litigating many early federal and state precedent-setting environmental cases, including appellate and amicus representations
- Deep substantive expertise in all major environmental and chemical regulatory regimes, including air, water, waste, pesticides, natural resources, protected species, project development, land use, and more
- Ability to translate highly technical concepts into narratives that judges and juries understand
- Successful track record against environmental and tort/product liability plaintiffs’ bar – we know the playbook and business model, how to minimize disruption from cases, and how to win
- Insurance coverage litigation experience, as well as defense of covered matters
- Enforcement defense and investigation services featuring numerous former state and federal environmental prosecutors, including former Assistant U.S. Attorney General for Environment & Natural Resources; Senior Trial Lawyer, Environment & Natural Resources; and Assistant U.S. Attorney, among others
- Independent legal ratings services such as U.S. News-Best Lawyers and Legal 500 place B&D in their top tiers nationally for environmental litigation.
- American Lawyer awarded B&D lawyers the Litigator of the Week title for the firm's 2021 defense of a Safe Drinking Water Act citizen suit. AmLaw recognized the firm five times in 2020 and 2021 as runners-up for Litigator of the Week.
Comprehensive Litigation Capabilities
Our nationwide practice spans federal and state trial and appellate courts across the country, including the U.S. Supreme Court. Clients—including Fortune 500 companies and America’s largest municipalities—entrust us with novel and complex litigation matters vital to their continuing operation and success. Backed by the firm’s environmental regulatory lawyers, our litigators first-chair major national litigation and serve as coordinating counsel in high-stakes cases affecting entire industries.
B&D is on the cutting edge of defending and settling multiparty claims relating to PFAS contamination, lead, Legionella, ethylene oxide, and other emerging contaminants impacting drinking water and other environmental media.
We counsel clients on:
- Administrative litigation
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Bankruptcy litigation (support for environmental disputes)
- Challenges to agency rules
- Challenges to state and local law/preemption
- Citizen suit defense
- Civil and criminal enforcement defense
- Class and mass action defense
- Commercial, contract, and indemnification litigation
- Contaminated property actions
- Cost recovery actions
- Environmental crimes/white collar investigations and defense
- Insurance coverage litigation
- Nuisance and tort litigation
- OSHA litigation
- Pesticide data compensation arbitrations
- Product liability litigation
- Toxic tort defense
- Trials & Appeals