Allyn believes that environmental compliance makes good business sense and knows that businesses are in a unique position to drive change.
As a former EPA Regional Counsel with 30 years of agency experience, Allyn joined Beveridge & Diamond in 2019, bringing her government expertise to the private sector. She is dedicated to helping businesses develop proactive environmental compliance strategies, navigate governmental regulations, and negotiate with agencies to develop reasonable and implementable solutions to enforcement matters. Whether the matter involves air, water, or waste regulation, Superfund cleanup, reuse and recycling, or disaster preparedness, Allyn’s diverse experience serves as a guiding authority on environmental compliance and government regulations.
Allyn serves clients in a wide variety of sectors, including government, energy infrastructure, technology, transportation, and product manufacturing.
Federal and State Environmental Enforcement
As EPA Regional Counsel, Allyn was the senior executive responsible for advising career staff and political appointees on litigation strategy, enforcement approaches, and decision making to implement all the laws under EPA authority. Her work also influenced national decision making, particularly on enforcement matters, Superfund, and Clean Water Act litigation and policy. Allyn supports clients through federal and state investigations and works well with government regulators to get the best outcomes for her clients in enforcement matters.
Plastics and Packaging
Allyn advises companies on the ever-expanding universe of laws relating to plastics and packaging, including Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR), single-use plastics, recycling definitions, minimum recycled content requirements, and issues relating to advanced recycling.
With increased public scrutiny of environmental claims, Allyn helps companies ensure that their marketing messages follow Federal Trade Commission guidelines (“Green Guides”) and relevant state consumer protection laws. Allyn formerly managed EPA’s press team in San Francisco and understands how to align a company’s message with its mission without overstating a claim or facing accusations of “greenwashing.”
Allyn co-chairs B&D's Environmental group and Textiles and Fashion group, and is the former co-chair of the firm’s Water group. She lived in San Francisco for 25 years and now resides in the Pacific Northwest. Allyn is an avid reader and book collector who previously owned a successful bookstore.
- Indiana University (B.A., 1983)
- George Washington University (J.D., 1987)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Washington
- Co-Chair, National Association of Women Lawyers, Environmental and Energy Law Affinity Group
- Former Co-Chair, American Bar Association, Waste & Resource Recovery Committee
- Adjunct Professor, Seattle University
- Former Adjunct Professor, University of California, Hastings School of Law
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America©, a Best Lawyers® publication, recognition in Environmental Law (2024)
- The Legal 500, recognition in Environmental Regulatory Law (2023)
- Lawdragon Green 500: Leaders in Environmental Law (2023)