Successful resolution of complex environmental disputes.
Tony has over 20 years’ experience in litigation and alternative dispute resolution (ADR) in complex environmental and commercial matters. He represents clients in high-stakes cases in federal and state courts and in arbitration and mediation proceedings, with a focus on environmental and commercial matters. In each litigation matter, he proposes and implements a strategy designed to achieve the client’s business goals in a timely and cost-effective manner, whether through a favorable judicial ruling, ADR, negotiated settlement, or regulatory action. Tony also offers his services as an independent arbitrator and mediator in an array of civil cases.
Tony employs a creative and principled approach to resolving complex disputes, fostering productive working relationships with stakeholders, technical experts, regulators, and others to achieve a favorable resolution of each dispute that advances the broader interests and objectives of the client. Tony currently serves as national co-chair of the Firm’s litigation practice, and is past co-chair of the Firm’s appellate litigation practice.
Examples of his work include:
- Bringing, defending, and intervening in litigation to defend client products and regulatory approvals and challenge invalid regulations.
- Lead trial counsel in numerous complex arbitration matters – many of which proceeded through full evidentiary hearings and resulted in some of the most favorable arbitration awards in the history of the relevant field.
- Advising and defending clients in EPA enforcement cases.
- Mediating and negotiating settlements resolving complex commercial and environmental disputes.
- Advising clients on the regulatory requirements governing the distribution and sale of pesticides and other products.
- Working with technical experts to prepare substantive comments on regulatory proposals.
- Preparing and advising on the terms of commercial agreements relating to intellectual property and related matters central to clients’ freedom to operate.
- Forming and advising coalitions of multinational companies to satisfy common regulatory requirements and advocate regulatory positions before federal agencies.
- Virginia Tech (B.S., 1992)
- Aerospace Engineering
- College of William and Mary (J.D., 1995)
- District of Columbia