Successful resolution of complex environmental disputes.
Anthony represents clients as lead counsel in high-stakes environmental litigation in federal and state courts and before arbitrators, with a focus on pesticides and biotechnology and mobile-source air matters. In each case, he identifies and implements a strategy designed to achieve the client’s business goals in a timely and cost-effective manner, whether through a favorable judicial ruling, negotiated settlement, or regulatory solution.
Anthony employs a balanced and principled approach to complex environmental litigation, marshaling groups of stakeholders and scientific experts, and fostering productive working relationships with regulators and others to achieve the favorable resolution of the specific dispute while furthering the client’s broader objectives.
Examples of his work include:
- Bringing, defending, and intervening in litigation to defend client products and regulatory approvals and invalidate illegal regulations.
- Defending clients in EPA enforcement actions.
- Advising clients on the regulatory requirements governing the distribution and sale of pesticides and other products.
- Working with technical experts to prepare substantive comments on regulatory proposals.
- Preparing and advising on the terms of commercial agreements relating to intellectual property and related matters central to clients’ freedom to operate.
- Representing data owners in complex arbitration matters to secure the compensation owed by competitors for reliance on pesticide data, with arbitration awards and settlements totaling over $20 million in 2018 alone.
Anthony has served as co-chair of the Firm’s Appellate Litigation practice group and has argued cases before state and federal courts posing a variety of complex issues of administrative and environmental law.
- Virginia Tech (B.S., 1992)
- Aerospace Engineering
- College of William and Mary (J.D., 1995)
- District of Columbia