Deepti’s business and environmental background informs her understanding in advising clients on environmental issues whether related to business decisions or litigation.
Deepti supports clients across industry sectors in a variety of matters relating to international regulations, corporate social responsibility, supply chain, product stewardship, and renewables while also assisting with litigation related to various environmental statutes. Deepti’s regulatory work involves tracking federal, state, and local EHS laws to keep clients apprised of changes in their responsibilities. Deepti works closely in advising clients on topics related to waste with a particular focus on multilateral environmental agreements including the Basel Convention. Her international experience focuses on the circular economy, international and federal laws related to waste recycling and disposal, plastics, the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)/Paris Agreement, tax incentives for environmental projects, and carbon trading.
She is dedicated to pro bono service handling matters relating to immigration/asylum, fisheries disputes, green certifications, tribal citizenship, conservation, and disaster relief and resiliency.
Prior to joining the firm, Deepti served as a legal clerk for the former General Counsel of The Nature Conservancy in Arlington, VA where she assisted in legislative drafting. She also interned at the Environmental Law Institute where she conducted research in Spanish on ocean space management law to develop a sustainable management strategy for the world’s second-largest barrier reef. There, she also gained a strong grasp of environmental review legal authority for the U.S. (NEPA) and Canada (CEAA) and their respective community consultation requirements while creating a guide on the subject.
Prior to her legal career, Deepti had a career in finance that included working as a financial technology consultant at Pricewaterhouse Coopers LLP (PwC) out of Washington, DC and working in finance systems at Cummins at their headquarters in Columbus, IN. Her business economics degree led her to form a sustainable fashion initiative sourcing items from Costa Rica such that she has first-hand experience in the sustainable textile and apparel industry.
- Indiana University (B.S., with Honors, 2016)
- Business Economics
- Individualized Minor in Business & the Environment
- Minor in Spanish
- Wells Scholar
- George Washington University (J.D., with Honors, 2020)
- The George Washington Law Review, Associate
- Planet Forward, Senior Correspondent
- Research Assistant to Associate Dean LeRoy C. Paddock in the Environmental and Energy Law Program
- Research Assistant to Associate Professor Bearer-Friend in the Tax Law Program
- District of Columbia
- LeRoy Paddock & Deepti Bansal, The Elgar Encyclopedia of Environmental Law, Volume IX: Energy Law, Climate Change and the Environment, Chapter IX.65: Energy efficiency at the consumer level in the United States, May 2021.
- Deepti Bansal Gage, Offering a Mulligan on Conservation Easement Tax Law: Ensuring Public Access on Conserved Land, 10 Ariz. J. Envtl. L. & Pol’y 342 (2020).
- Deepti Bansal Gage, Proposed Rule to Exempt Incidental Take Under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, Animal L. Committee Newsl. (ABA Trial Torts and Insurance Practice Section, Washington, D.C.), Spring 2020, at 8.
- Deepti Bansal Gage, RAWR!: Bipartisan Legislation in the Senate Rewarding Intel on Wildlife Trafficking, Animal L. Committee Newsl. (ABA Trial Torts and Insurance Practice Section, Washington, D.C.), Summer 2019, at 18.
- Deepti Bansal Gage, Oregon Senate Bill Proposed to Ban Wildlife Killing Contests, Animal L. Committee Newsl. (ABA Trial Torts and Insurance Practice Section, Washington, D.C.), Winter/Spring 2019, at 16.
- Deepti Bansal Gage, Ban, Repeal, Ban: Secretary Zinke Permits–and President Trump Prohibits–Import of Elephant Trophies from Zimbabwe and Zambia, Animal L. Committee Newsl. (ABA Trial Torts and Insurance Practice Section, Washington, D.C.), Winter/Spring 2018, at 15.
- South Asian Bar Association of DC, Board of Directors, Secretary
- ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Animal Law Committee, Co-Chair of the Wildlife Subcommittee
- ELI Emerging Leaders Initiative, Member
- Volunteer with DC Greens
- Spanish (Fluent - advanced conversational and written)
- Hindi (Proficient - intermediate conversational and beginner written)