Hal has a proven and winning trial and appellate litigation record, with over 30 years of experience in federal and state courts throughout the U.S.
His practice encompasses environmental claims, toxic torts, and related commercial and real estate cases. Hal also has extensive experience with alternative dispute resolution, both as an advocate and a court-appointed mediator.
While Hal focuses his practice primarily on litigation, he also applies his litigation background to negotiating protective contractual provisions in transactions involving environmental matters, and to resolving associated regulatory issues.
Hal maintains an active pro bono practice, currently serving as Co-Chair of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee and as pro bono General Counsel of the Environmental Law Institute in Washington, DC. His pro bono litigation matters have involved employment discrimination, housing discrimination, HIV/AIDS, and special education.
Hal served multiple terms as Chair of the firm’s Litigation group and member of its five-principal Management Committee, which oversees all firm management and compensation matters. He is married with two daughters and competes in Olympic distance triathlons.
- Yale University (B.A.)
- University of Chicago (J.D.)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals - D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court – District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court – Colorado
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Washington Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, Trustee
- Adat Shalom Reconstructionist Congregation, Bethesda, MD, Co-President
- Whitman Walker Health Legal Services Program, Steering Committee, Going the Extra Mile Benefit, 2012-2015; Co-Chair 2012-2013
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, Washington, DC, Super Lawyer (2013-2019)
- The Legal 500, recognition in Environmental Law (2013-2015)