Hal has a proven and winning trial and appellate litigation record, with 35 years of experience in federal and state courts throughout the U.S.
His practice encompasses environmental claims, mass tort litigation, and related commercial and real estate cases.
While Hal focuses primarily on litigation, he also applies his litigation background to negotiating protective contractual provisions in transactions involving environmental matters, and to resolving associated regulatory issues.
Hal is active in the community, both as a lawyer and volunteer. He serves as pro bono General Counsel of the Environmental Law Institute in Washington, DC., and litigates pro bono civil rights cases. He served for more than 15 years as Co-Chair of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee—a period in which the firm received numerous awards for its pro bono work. He is immediate past Co-President of Adat Shalom Reconstructionist Congregation, in Bethesda, MD.
Hal served multiple terms as Chair of the firm’s Litigation group and member of its Management Committee, which oversees all firm management and compensation matters. He is married with two daughters and competes in Olympic distance triathlons.
- Yale University (B.A.)
- University of Chicago (J.D.)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals - D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court – District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court – Colorado
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Tennessee
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Washington Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, Trustee
- Whitman Walker Health Legal Services Program, Steering Committee, Going the Extra Mile Benefit, 2012-2015; Co-Chair 2012-2013
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, Washington, DC, Super Lawyer (2013-2020)
- The Legal 500, recognition in Environmental Law (2013-2015)