Groundtruth: Implementing New Jersey’s Environmental Justice Law
In the tenth episode of "Groundtruth," Principal Julius M. Redd (Washington, DC) speaks with New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Shawn LaTourette. Commissioner LaTourette joined the first "Groundtruth" episode in April 2021, shortly after the Governor of New Jersey signed landmark environmental justice legislation into law in 2020. In our latest episode, he joins Julius again to discuss the Department’s proposed implementing rules for this law, which were published in early June 2022. Public comments on the implementing rules are due on September 4.
"Part of what environmental lawyers do is to guide clients to solutions that better serve the environment and the communities in which our clients are located and that they serve. So I think that every environmental lawyer gets to be a part of doing this good in how we counsel clients to do the best good that they possibly can."
— Commissioner LaTourette
“Groundtruth” is a podcast series, produced in partnership with the Environmental Law Institute’s People Places Planet Podcast, that explores EJ trends and developments. Listen to other “Groundtruth” episodes:
- Episode 1: “New Jersey’s Environmental Justice Law”
- Episode 2: “State Stories – Passing Environmental Justice Legislation”
- Episode 3: “All of Industry – Corporate Approaches to Advancing Environmental Justice”
- Episode 4: “Operationalizing Environmental Justice”
- Episode 5: "Environmental Justice in 2022 - Perspectives From EPA"
- Episode 6: "Meet EJ Leader & Advocate, Ben Wilson"
- Episode 7: "EJ & ESG, Intersected"
- Episode 8: "17 Principles of Environmental Justice—30 Years Later"
- Episode 9: "Environmental Justice in the International Arena"
Beveridge & Diamond Associate Hilary Jacobs (Washington, DC) led the content development for this episode. Follow The Environmental Law Podcast on Spotify or your preferred podcast app. To receive B&D’s updates on EJ developments and trends, subscribe to our email list here or follow us on LinkedIn at #bdlawEJ.