A Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry complements Ryan's law practice.
Ryan uses his extensive technical background to counsel clients on chemical regulatory and product regulatory questions. Prior to graduating from law school, Ryan obtained his Ph.D. in organic chemistry. Ryan co-chairs the firm’s Chemicals practice group. His experience includes:
- Advising clients on Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) regulatory questions, including applicability of TSCA Inventory listings and exemptions, Chemical Data Reporting obligations, test rule obligations, and import and export procedures.
- Advising on federal and state restrictions and reporting obligations related to the presence of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in products.
- Negotiating with Environmental Protection Agency officials on numerous TSCA enforcement matters.
- Assisting with company-wide TSCA audits and self-disclosing violations under EPA’s Audit Policy.
- Litigating challenges of EPA and state regulatory actions.
- Preparing company and trade group comments on state and federal chemical and product regulatory actions, including TSCA and state green chemistry rules.
- Advising product manufacturers, retailers, and other clients on extended producer responsibility, product materials restrictions, chemical hazard classification, and chemical notification requirements, both domestically and abroad.
- Reviewing marketing materials and drafting internal guidance documents for companies seeking to ensure conformance with environmental marketing enforcement guidance around the globe, including the Federal Trade Commission’s Green Guides.
- College of William and Mary (B.S., magna cum laude, 2002)
- University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign (Ph.D., 2008)
- Organic Chemistry
- University of Virginia (J.D., 2011)
- Managing Editor, Virginia Environmental Law Journal
- District of Columbia
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, Washington, DC, Rising Star (2016-2022)
- National Law Review, Go-To Thought Leader, Chemical Products Litigation (2019)