A Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry compliments Ryan's law practice.
Ryan uses his extensive technical background to counsel clients in the chemicals, products, and energy sectors regarding environmental regulatory issues. Ryan’s experience includes:
- Advised clients on Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) matters, including implementation of the 2016 reform legislation.
- Advised product manufacturers, retailers, and other clients on extended producer responsibility, waste classification, chemical hazard classification, chemical notification requirements, and product materials restrictions both domestically and abroad.
- Reviewed marketing materials and drafted internal guidance documents for companies seeking to ensure compliance with environmental marketing enforcement guidance around the globe, including the Federal Trade Commission’s Green Guides.
- Negotiated with Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Justice officials on Clean Air Act Prevention of Significant Deterioration enforcement matters.
- Briefed a National Environmental Policy Act matter in both federal district and appellate courts.
- Worked closely with federal regulators to draft environmental covenants containing complex land use restrictions.
- College of William and Mary (B.S., magna cum laude, 2002)
- University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign (Ph.D., 2008)
- Organic Chemistry
- University of Virginia (J.D., 2011)
- Managing Editor, Virginia Environmental Law Journal
- District of Columbia
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2016-2018