Steve’s practice includes providing legal services to local government, energy, real estate development, natural resource, manufacturing and waste management companies in all aspects of environment and land use law.
Representative matters during the past several years include numerous administrative and judicial proceedings relating to hazardous waste and sanitary landfill issues, environmental impact statements and public hearings for the siting of major electric generating facilities, large commercial and industrial real estate developments, major industrial waste disposal facilities, harbor development projects, and research and development laboratories.
His experience includes the following:
- Counsel to independent power producers on significant cogeneration, repowering, transmission and new electric generating facilities. The cogeneration facilities ranged from 40 MW to 800 MW while the new generating facilities comprised 350 MW to 1,000 MW. One new facility currently in commercial operation was the first new power plant on Long Island in 41 years. Current projects include a new generating facility in New Jersey with a 345 KV submarine cable to a substation connection in New York City.
- Lead counsel in state litigation contesting denial of a permit to develop a regional commercial project. The matter was ultimately settled by selling hundreds of acres of prime tidal wetlands to the federal government, revising the municipal coastal zoning code, securing all state and federal permits, and developing the uplands.
- Represented a municipality bifurcated by a major road network. The state DOT would not pledge to replace five bridges connecting the municipality subsequent to a major roadway construction project. After the municipality lost in the trial court, the intermediate appellate court overturned the decision and the state's highest court affirmed the municipality's victory.
- Secured state and federal permits for the continued operation of the largest hazardous waste treatment facility in the region with the action affirmed on appeal.
- Secured the necessary state and federal authorizations, along with purchase of the state property rights, in order for client to build the largest oil tanker off-loading facility in New York harbor.
- Represented County in the environmental reviews of a major upgrading of athletic facilities to accommodate the Goodwill Games. Successfully defended County in a suit attempting to block the Goodwill Games.
Steve previously served as a Deputy Attorney General in the State of New Jersey, representing the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. Mr. Gordon then served as Enforcement Counsel, Deputy Commissioner, and First Deputy Commissioner of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. He has been involved in all aspects of environmental and land use law and has lectured extensively before professional organizations concerning environmental law and litigation.
- Rutgers University (B.A., 1963)
- University of Pennsylvania (LL.B., 1966)
- New York
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- The District of Columbia Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2018
- Super Lawyers*, 2010-2017
- Chambers USA
- International Who's Who of Environment Lawyers
*The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.