Commemorating the 40th anniversary of the Superfund program with analysis of its past, present, and future.
On December 11, 1980, President Jimmy Carter signed into law the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), aka “Superfund.” Forty years later, Superfund cleanups continue in full stride across the country. To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Superfund program, Beveridge & Diamond and the Environmental Law Institute (ELI) are hosting in-depth discussions of the past, present, and future of the Superfund program with former EPA and DOJ officials and private practitioners.
Please continue to visit this page as we update it with event information, recordings, podcasts, and other resources.
Webinar: Superfund Reform Efforts, Past and Present
October 26, 2020 | 11:00am-12:30pm EDT | View Recording
A moderated panel discussion featuring the lead EPA and DOJ staff for the 1986 Superfund amendments and covering both past CERCLA reform efforts and the current status of CERCLA at 40 years.
- John Cruden, Principal, Beveridge & Diamond PC, Moderator
- The Honorable Nancy Firestone, US Court of Federal Claims and former Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Environment and Natural Resources Division, DOJ and Judge, Environmental Appeals Board and Associate Deputy Administrator, EPA
- Linda Fisher, former Vice President, Safety, Health and Environment, and Chief Sustainability Officer, DuPont and Deputy Administrator, EPA
- Anne Shields, former Chief, Policy, Legislative, and Special Litigation Section, Environment and Natural Resources Division, DOJ
Webinar: The Future of Superfund: Has the Mission Expanded, and Will It Be Permanent?
December 8, 2020 | 12:00pm-1:30pm EST | View Recording
This will be a moderated panel discussion among former and current senior EPA officials – who have significant private sector experience as well – on what parties should expect from the coming decades of CERCLA in terms of its longevity, its priorities, and ongoing major conflicts over its implementation.
- Steve Jawetz, Principal, Beveridge & Diamond PC, Moderator
- Timothy Fields, Senior Vice President, MDB, Inc. and former EPA Assistant Administrator, Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response (1997-2001)
- Mathy Stanislaus, Interim Director, Global Battery Alliance (World Economic Forum), and former EPA Assistant Administrator, Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response (2009-2016)
- Peter C. Wright, EPA Assistant Administrator, Office of Land and Emergency Management
- EPA's Superfund 25th Anniversary Oral History Project - An oral history project with 40 transcribed interviews of significant players over Superfund's history
Beveridge & Diamond’s Superfund, Site Remediation, and Natural Resource Damages group assists clients in litigation and allocation of CERCLA sites, including complex, large-scale sites. We counsel clients on developing case law and requirements under CERCLA and state-equivalent laws.