Climate Change/Renewable Energy
Brook's climate change and renewable energy experience includes:
- Providing advice to a broad range of clients on state and federal renewable energy policies, incentives, and regulations.
- Advising clients during the structuring and development of numerous carbon offset and renewable energy projects and transactions, including U.S. forest offset projects, hydroelectric projects under the Clean Development Mechanism, domestic landfill gas-to-energy development, and a novel trans-border carbon offset generation project involving chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) destruction.
- Representing Native American tribes and corporations during the development of large carbon offset projects on tribal forest lands.
- Drafting model renewable portfolio standards.
- Developing regulatory guidance and strategy for over thirty energy companies on a wide range of environmental issues, including state and federal greenhouse gas regulations.
- Counseling clients on carbon accounting, the social cost of carbon metrics, and climate risk disclosure.
Brook's litigation experience includes:
- Winning a complete victory, after a six-week jury trial in federal court, for a major multinational corporation accused of causing contamination in a waterway adjacent to a former facility.
- Obtaining summary judgment for a major utility in Clean Air Act (CAA) litigation involving thousands of claims and alleged damages exceeding $100 million.
- Representing clients in numerous cases brought under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) and state Superfund laws.
- Serving as primary counsel in Third Circuit appeal of Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulatory action directed at an electric generating facility.
- Representing refinery and utility companies during litigation related to the adoption of state and federal regulations governing air quality and emissions.