Dan deploys more than two decades of environmental litigation experience to resolve clients’ legal and business challenges.
Primarily focused on environmental and toxic tort litigation, Dan helps clients successfully resolve groundwater contamination, hazardous waste site remediation, natural resource damages, permit defense and product-related matters. He enjoys using his skills as a litigator to help clients solve environmental problems.
Among his many wins, Dan successfully led a team that defeated an emergency challenge to a permit that Dan’s client needed to continue its operations. The favorable result that Dan and his team achieved allowed the client to avoid losing millions of dollars’ worth of production.
In a toxic tort case involving an alleged international conspiracy, Dan led a successful briefing effort that resulted in early dismissal of all claims against his clients, saving them from protracted litigation and protecting their reputation.
While focusing his practice on litigation, Dan also provides practical and actionable advice designed to minimize environmental risk and potential liabilities.
An active member of various bar associations, Dan is a past chair of the American Bar Association’s Environmental Litigation and Toxic Torts Committee, and currently co-chairs the New York State Bar Association Environment Section’s Toxic Torts Committee. Dan has also served as a member of the firm’s Management Committee.
Before joining Beveridge & Diamond, Dan clerked for The Honorable Carlos R. Moreno, U.S. District Judge for the Central District of California. Prior to attending law school, Dan served as editor-in-chief of the environmental news service Greenwire.
- Wesleyan University (B.A., with High Honors, 1991)
- University of Virginia (J.D., 1997)
- Winner, 68th annual Moot Court Competition
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals - D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court – District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association, Committee on Environmental Litigation and Toxic Torts of the Section on Environment, Energy and Resources, Past Chair
- New York State Bar Association, Environmental and Energy Law Section’s Toxic Torts Committee, Co-Chair
- Environmental Law Institute, Leadership Council Member
- Law Firm Sustainability Network, President
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, New York Super Lawyer (2011-present)