Dan deploys more than 25 years of environmental litigation experience to resolve clients’ legal and business challenges.
Primarily focused on environmental, toxic tort, and product liability litigation, Dan helps clients successfully resolve matters involving alleged soil and groundwater contamination, odors and air emissions, natural resource damages, permit challenges and product claims. He enjoys using his skills as a litigator to help clients solve environmental problems.
Among his many wins, Dan successfully led a trial team that defeated an emergency challenge to a client's permit. The favorable result allowed the client to avoid losing millions of dollars’ worth of production.
In a toxic tort case involving an alleged international conspiracy, Dan led a successful briefing effort that resulted in early dismissal of all claims against his clients, saving them from protracted litigation and protecting their reputation.
Dan is a lead member of the B&D team defending product liability and toxic tort claims in a multi-district litigation, which has spanned more than 100 cases and billions of dollars in claims, regarding the use of a gasoline additive.
Dan’s current toxic tort litigation work involves defending product-based claims involving the emerging contaminant 1,4-dioxane, and defending operational odor claims against a large waste management facility.
While focusing his practice on litigation, Dan also provides practical and actionable advice designed to minimize environmental risk and potential liabilities.
Dan is Co-Chair of B&D’s Litigation Practice Group, Co-Chair of the New York State Bar Association Environment Section’s Toxic Torts Committee, and former Chair of the American Bar Association’s Environmental Litigation and Toxic Torts Committee. He is the Managing Principal of B&D's New York office, and has served two terms on B&D's Management Committee.
Before joining B&D, Dan served as a law clerk for The Honorable Carlos R. Moreno, U.S. District Judge for the Central District of California. Prior to attending law school, Dan served as editor-in-chief of the environmental news service Greenwire.
- Wesleyan University (B.A., with High Honors, 1991)
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D., 1997)
- Winner, 68th annual Moot Court Competition
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court – District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association, Environmental and Energy Law Section’s Toxic Torts Committee, Co-Chair (2017-present)
- American Bar Association, Committee on Environmental Litigation and Toxic Torts of the Section on Environment, Energy and Resources, Past Chair
- Environmental Law Institute, Leadership Council Member (2016-2021)
- Law Firm Sustainability Network, President (2012-2021)
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, New York Super Lawyer, recognition in Environmental Litigation (2011-2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, a Best Lawyers® publication, recognition in Environmental Litigation (2023-2024)
- Who's Who Legal, recognition in WWL: Environment (2023)
- LawdragonGreen 500: Leaders in Environmental Law (2023)
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent Rated (2011-2023)