- Negotiated a Supplemental Environmental Project for the Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans, which restores wetlands at the historic Lincoln beach, and removed unsightly white goods in the Ninth Ward neighborhood.
- Counseled leading utility company in developing a corporate EJ policy and designing processes for implementing EJ considerations into their business model
- Represented the City of Fresno in securing dismissal of an EJ lawsuit brought by a citizens group alleging violations of the Fresno Municipal Code and Government Code 11135 related to the operation of a rendering facility in the City.
- Developed a Supplemental Environmental Project in the Ninth Ward of New Orleans while representing the Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans, restoring a historically African American beach and its neighboring wetlands.
- On behalf of PPG Industries, Inc., addressed EJ issues in response to suit brought by community and environmental groups alleging Resource Conservation and Recovery Act violations. This work included the cleanup of one of the largest chromium sites in the U.S., near Jersey City, NJ.
- Worked with a confidential corporate client to identify potential community engagement partners and develop a community outreach and engagement strategy for a transportation infrastructure project where litigation was imminent. This work included:
- Identifying and engaging with community groups with similar concerns as the plaintiff to gain community support.
- Contacting community organizations to gain perspective on the issues in the same geographic area/within the same community.
- Identifying and correcting previous communications with the community that may have been misunderstood.
- Identifying community enhancement projects that would offset perceived detriments of the project at issue.
- Successfully represented a leading waste management company in obtaining permits to expand landfill under state regulatory scheme in which objectors asserted various claims, including EJ violations.
- Advised leading utility company on considering EJ in the selection of alternative site after initial site faced community opposition.
- Counseled a large municipality subject to Title VI investigation by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Transportation, which included:
- Representing the municipality in written and oral communications with relevant agencies.
- Assessing the vulnerability of the municipality to Title VI claims and the substantive basis of the underlying Title VI complaint.
- Representing and advising the municipality on engagement and alignment with other recipients subject to the same investigation.
Prior results do not guarantee future outcomes.