Our work related to the fisheries and aquaculture industries includes:
- Advising trade associations in connection with commercial fisheries laws and compliance with Endangered Species Act and Marine Mammal Protection Act regulatory frameworks.
- Representing a commercial shellfish harvester in the successful defense of a challenged Washington Department of Natural Resources rulemaking.
- Litigating NEPA and Magnuson-Stevens Act challenges to federal rules related to the Atlantic herring fisheries in New England and the Mid-Atlantic, and the Coastal Pelagic Species fishery in California.
- Litigating a case involving a tribal gillnet in Alaska, eventually resulting in an administrative settlement which allowed the gillnet with environmental safeguards.
- Advising a commercial oyster farm and shellfish distributor in Montauk.
- Advising a large global retailer on Lacey Act compliance, including supplier education, communication, and audits.
- Assisting an organization in opposing the Marine Stewardship Council’s certification of the menhaden fishery in the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico, which will ensure sustainability labels are supported by third-party certification standards and applicable fishery science. This will help maintain the validity of sustainability labels while also encouraging sustainable management of fisheries critical to commercial and recreational groups.
- Presenting on key industry developments, including Getting Pacific Northwest Aquaculture Out of Deep Water: Clean Water Act Legal Challenges and Liability Reduction Strategies (King County Bar Association Mid-Year Conference).