Jeanine is a top-rated Massachusetts environmental lawyer with extensive experience in air, water, and waste issues arising within a variety of industrial sectors.
Solving puzzles is what Jeanine enjoys most about environmental law. She likes taking a complicated set of facts hidden in environmental reports and unpacking the information until the key legal issues are revealed.
When providing advice to clients, Jeanine listens for what they need—whether it’s a quick and actionable answer, a trusted counselor, or a gut check—in addition to their legal questions. She also approaches the practice of law as a marathon, not a sprint, since experience has taught her that a fresh challenge always awaits unseen over the horizon.
Jeanine’s practice focuses on environmental compliance counseling, environmental permitting of energy and brownfields redevelopment projects, and managing environmental risk in complex transactions, such as through environmental insurance products. She advises, counsels, and defends clients in industries including power generation, chemical production, and solid waste disposal, among others.
Jeanine’s career highlights include working with a client to develop a path to closure under Massachusetts cleanup law for a historic release of trichloroethylene (TCE) at a former manufacturing site redeveloped for residential use. She also negotiated with the Massachusetts Attorney General the first-ever amendment of a Covenant Not to Sue to include a parcel of land being acquired by a client.
Jeanine clerked at the Connecticut Supreme Court for former Chief Justice Ellen A. Peters and has lectured on Massachusetts cleanup law and environmental risk insurance.
She is a member of the Board of Directors of the Licensed Site Professionals Association (LSP), an organization dedicated to professionals who investigate and remediate contaminated properties in Massachusetts. She is the first lawyer to serve on its board.
- Wesleyan University (B.A., 1991)
- Environmental Science and Science in Society
- Harvard University (J.D., cum laude, 1995)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals - First Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Massachusetts
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Environmental Business Council of New England, Site Remediation and Redevelopment Committee
- Licensed Site Professional Association, Associate Member
- CREW Boston
As part of her commitment to giving back to the community, Jeanine occasionally advises non-profit conservation land trusts and other non-profit organizations regarding site contamination issues.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers and Partners – USA, ranked Band 3 in Environmental Law (2012-2019)
- Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, Massachusetts Super Lawyer (2012-2019)
- The Legal 500, recognition in Environmental Law (2016)