Marc helps clients build projects and resolve disputes arising from environmental contamination with a particular emphasis in the solid waste industry.
Marc helps clients resolve problems and disputes arising from environmental contamination and residential, commercial, and industrial project development. Going beyond legal issues, Marc works closely with clients to address the business risks and solve the business problems that complex environmental and land use disputes pose. For example, Marc defends companies against government enforcement actions threatening to shut their businesses for months or permanently.
Marc also works on contaminated property cases under CERCLA and Massachusetts Chapter 21E, helping clients address issues related to traditional contaminants like PCBs and new and emerging contaminants like dioxane and PFAS. For example, he led a trial team through 80 days of depositions and a six-week jury trial in an environmental case with 17 parties and $12.5 million at stake. In addition, he parlays his prior experience representing municipalities and his training as a journalist to build local support for land use projects and assist individual landowners in front of local permitting boards. Marc has particular expertise in solid waste permitting and litigation and regularly assists clients with complicated issues impacting the waste and recycling world.
In addition to serving as the Boston office Managing Principal, Marc is the Chair of the firm’s Strategic Planning Committee and is the previous head of the firm’s Technology Committee and Litigation Practice Group.
- Lehigh University (B.A., summa cum laude, 1994)
- Economics and Journalism
- Harvard University (J.D., cum laude, 1997)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals - D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Leadership MetroWest, Board Member, Leadership Academy Graduate (2007)
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America©, a Best Lawyers® publication, recognition in Environmental Law and Environmental Litigation (2015-2021)
- Chambers and Partners - USA, ranked Band 3 in Environmental Law (2020)
- Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, Massachusetts Super Lawyer (2013-2020)
- Who's Who Legal, part of Law Business Research Ltd., recognition in Environmental Law (2018-2020)
- Chambers and Partners – USA, recognized practitioner in Environmental Law (2017)
- Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, Massachusetts Rising Star (2006-2008; 2010-2012)