Marc helps clients resolve problems and disputes arising from environmental contamination and residential, commercial, and industrial project development.
Marc helps clients resolve problems and disputes arising from environmental contamination and residential, commercial, and industrial project development. Going beyond legal issues, Marc works closely with clients to address the business risks and solve the business problems that complex environmental and land use disputes pose. For example, Marc defends companies against government enforcement actions threatening to shut their businesses for months or permanently.
Marc also works on contaminated property cases under CERCLA and Massachusetts Chapter 21E, helping clients address issues related to traditional contaminants like PCBs and new and emerging contaminants like dioxane and PFAS. For example, he led a trial team through 80 days of depositions and a six-week jury trial in an environmental case with 17 parties and $12.5 million at stake. In addition, he parlays his prior experience representing municipalities and his training as a journalist to build local support for land use projects and assist individual landowners in front of local permitting boards.
In addition to serving as the Boston office Managing Principal, Marc is a member of the firm’s Management Committee. Marc also puts his techie side to work as Chair of the firm’s Technology Committee. He serves as a Co-Chair of the Hazardous and Solid Waste Subcommittee of the Boston Bar Association’s Environmental Committee and is Co-Chair of the American Bar Association’s Real Estate, Condemnation, and Trust Litigation Committee in the Section of Litigation.
- Lehigh University (B.A., summa cum laude, 1994)
- Economics and Journalism
- Harvard University (J.D., cum laude, 1997)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals - D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- National Association of Home Builders
- Builders Association of Greater Boston
- Leadership MetroWest, Board Member, Leadership Academy Graduate (2007)
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, a Best Lawyers publication, recognition in Environmental Law and Environmental Litigation (2015-2020)
- Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, Massachusetts Super Lawyer (2013-2018)
- Who's Who Legal, part of Law Business Research Ltd., recognition in Environmental Law (2018-2019)
- Chambers and Partners – USA, recognized practitioner in Environmental Law (2017)
- Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, Massachusetts Rising Star (2006-2008; 2010-2012)