Steve provides strategic advice to clients with environmental issues arising from permitting, regulatory complexity, federal and state enforcement and business transactions.
His experience spans numerous environmental areas, and he spends a substantial portion of his time working on matters related to air quality, solid and hazardous waste, incident response, risk management planning, and transactional support.
His clients typically run businesses subject to multiple layers of environmental requirements. He works to achieve business objectives by analyzing regulatory and permitting structures, crafting compliance options and strategies, and advising on compliance programs to achieve sustainability.
Steve gained practical experience from serving as in-house environmental counsel at two multinational corporations, as Director of EHS Audit at an energy and environmental services company, and as a government enforcement lawyer in the role of Deputy General Counsel at the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection.
Steve is serving a three-year term as a member of Beveridge & Diamond’s Management Committee, is a founder of B&D’s Massachusetts office, and previously served for eight years as the managing principal of that office.
- Johns Hopkins University (B.A., with Honors, 1982)
- New York University (J.D., 1985)
- District of Columbia
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- MetroWest Legal Services – Member, Board of Directors (2015 - present)
- The Sudbury Foundation - Member, Board of Trustees (2016 - present)
- Sudbury Valley Trustees, Inc. - Member, Board of Directors (2009 - 2014); Chairman, Land Protection Committee (2010 – 2013)
- Sudbury Zoning Board of Appeals (2002 - 2007); Chairman (2005 - 2007)
- Environmental Business Council of New England, Inc. - Member, Board of Directors (2007 - 2011); Chairman, Solid Waste Committee (2006 - 2011); Program Chair, Annual Construction and Demolition Materials Summit (2006 - 2010)
Steve is active in his community and in pro bono causes, including current engagements on the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors of MetroWest Legal Services and as a Trustee of the Sudbury Foundation. He is a former board member of Sudbury Valley Trustees and the Environmental Business Council of New England, and a former Chair of the Town of Sudbury Zoning Board of Appeals, and he recently completed a one-year Access to Justice Fellowship, where he provided pro bono assistance for impoverished elders who faced bankruptcy. He is also a long-standing member of B&D’s Pro Bono Committee.
Honors & Awards
Steve is recognized as a leading environmental practitioner by a number of national and international legal rating organizations, including Massachusetts and New England Super Lawyers and Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. He is included in the 2016-2018 editions of The Best Lawyers in America, is AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and was recognized for his environmental transactional and regulatory work by The Legal 500 in 2014.