Steve provides strategic advice to clients with environmental issues arising from permitting, regulatory complexity, federal and state enforcement, and business transactions.
Steve has over 30 years of experience advising industrial companies on environmental compliance matters and risk management, with concentrations in air quality, hazardous and solid waste and recycling, enforcement defense and transactional support.
His clients typically run businesses subject to multiple layers of environmental requirements. He works to achieve business objectives by analyzing regulatory and permitting structures, crafting compliance options and strategies, and advising on compliance programs.
Steve served previously as the Chairperson of Beveridge & Diamond and as a member of the firm’s Management Committee. He was also a founder and the Managing Principal of the firm’s Boston office. Prior to joining the firm, Steve gained practical experience serving as in-house environmental counsel at two multinational corporations, including as Director of EHS Audit at an energy and environmental services company, and as Deputy General Counsel at the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection.
- Johns Hopkins University (B.A., with Honors, 1982)
- New York University (J.D., 1985)
- District of Columbia
- Boston Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- MetroWest Legal Services – Vice President, Board of Directors (2020 - present) and Member, Board of Directors (2015 - present)
- The Sudbury Foundation – Member, Board of Trustees (2016 - 2020)
- Sudbury Valley Trustees, Inc. – Member, Board of Directors (2009 - 2014); Chairman, Land Protection Committee (2010 - 2013)
- Sudbury Zoning Board of Appeals (2002 - 2007); Chairman (2005 - 2007)
- Environmental Business Council of New England, Inc. – Member, Board of Directors (2007 - 2011); Chairman, Solid Waste Committee (2006 - 2011); Program Chair, Annual Construction and Demolition Materials Summit (2006 - 2010)
Steve is active in his community and in pro bono causes, including a current engagement as a Vice President and a member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors of MetroWest Legal Services. He was previously a Trustee of the Sudbury Foundation and member of the board of directors of Sudbury Valley Trustees and of the Environmental Business Council of New England, and a former Chair of the Town of Sudbury Zoning Board of Appeals, and he recently completed a one-year Access to Justice Fellowship, where he provided pro bono assistance for impoverished elders who faced bankruptcy. Steve also served for many years as a member of the firm's Pro Bono Committee.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers and Partners – USA, ranked Band 2 in Environmental Law (2020-2023); ranked in Environmental Law (2014-2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, a Best Lawyers® publication, recognition in Environmental Law (2016-2023)
- Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, Massachusetts Super Lawyer (2006-2021)
- Who's Who Legal, part of Law Business Research Ltd., recognition in Environmental Law (2019-2020, 2022)
- The Legal 500, recognition in Environmental Law (2014-2015, 2021)