Groundtruth: Environmental Justice in the International Arena
In the ninth episode of “Groundtruth,” Associate Hilary Jacobs (Washington, DC), speaks with Professor Achinthi Vithanage, the Associate Director of Environmental Law Programs at the Elisabeth Haub School of Law at Pace University, and Jesse Glickstein, Environmental & Human Rights Counsel for Hewlett Packard Enterprise’s Global Social and Environmental Responsibility Team. They discuss environmental justice (EJ) on a global scale and what companies can do to advance EJ, climate justice, and human rights goals worldwide.
"Does international environmental law use the language of environmental justice? Sometimes it does. It's not often and it's not consistent. So when international environmental law does use environmental language, justice language, do they use the same definition as the U.S.? No, but there are similarities. "
— Professor Achinthi Vithanage
“Groundtruth” is a podcast series, produced in partnership with the Environmental Law Institute’s People Places Planet Podcast, that explores EJ trends and developments. Listen to other “Groundtruth” episodes:
- Episode 1: “New Jersey’s Environmental Justice Law”
- Episode 2: “State Stories – Passing Environmental Justice Legislation”
- Episode 3: “All of Industry – Corporate Approaches to Advancing Environmental Justice”
- Episode 4: “Operationalizing Environmental Justice”
- Episode 5: "Environmental Justice in 2022 - Perspectives From EPA"
- Episode 6: "Meet EJ Leader & Advocate, Ben Wilson"
- Episode 7: "EJ & ESG, Intersected"
- Episode 8: "17 Principles of Environmental Justice—30 Years Later"
Beveridge & Diamond Associate Hilary Jacobs (Washington, DC) led the content development for this episode. Follow The Environmental Law Podcast on Spotify or your preferred podcast app. To receive B&D’s updates on EJ developments and trends, subscribe to our email list here or follow us on LinkedIn at #bdlawEJ.