Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
“Diverse teams result in better ideas and outcomes.”
Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) are core values and business imperatives at Beveridge & Diamond. We are deeply committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the legal profession, and are dedicated to partnering with our clients and communities to accomplish this goal. We are proud to have been recognized for our leadership in this critical area.
B&D strives to foster an inclusive culture that encourages and supports a diverse workplace. We accomplish this mission by attracting, developing, retaining, and promoting to leadership diverse talent and by creating equal opportunities for individuals to live up to their potential and feel included as valued members of the firm.
Our DE&I Committee Chair and DE&I Committee guide our efforts, working with the firm’s Management Committee and our Firmwide Managing Principal.
Key DE&I Facts
- 49% of our lawyers are diverse (includes women, minorities, and openly LGBTQ+ individuals).
- 68% of our associates, 38% of our principals and 46% of our attorneys overall are female.
- 50% of our management committee attorneys are women or minorities.
- 19% of our attorneys are minorities or openly LGBTQ.
- The Managing Principals of our Austin, San Francisco, and Baltimore offices are women, as are our General Counsel, Chair, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Administrative Officer, and Chief Talent Officer (who is also an openly LGBTQ+ firm principal).
- We participate in the American Bar Association's annual DE&I benchmarking/model report survey.
- We are Mansfield 5.0 Plus Certified by the Diversity Lab, having participated in the Mansfield Rule since the Mansfield 2.0 pilot.
- In 2023 Bloomberg Law included B&D in its third annual DE&I Framework.
- We participate in Leadership Council on Legal Diversity's (LCLD) Fellows, Pathfinder, and Summer Clerk programs.
- In 2021 and 2022, LCLD recognized B&D as a Top Performer and a Compass Award winner.
- We are a Firm Affiliate Network member of the Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) and regularly support MCCA programs.
- In 2022, MCCA awarded B&D its George B. Vashon Innovator Award recipient, given to a law firm with fewer than 500 attorneys that “led the way with innovative best practices to assist diverse attorneys.”
- In 2023, MCCA recognized B&D with a Bronze Seal accreditation, recognizing the tangible results the B&D has in advancing DE&I through hiring, retaining, and promoting diverse attorneys.
- B&D ranks #14 for diversity in Vault’s Top 150 Under 150 Associate Survey.
- Law360 named B&D a "Ceiling Smasher" for our high percentage of women principals in 2022.
- Firm lawyers, staff, and clients have found our Anti-Racism and Allyship Resource Starter Kit and our LGBTQ+ Pride Resource Guide useful in advancing their understanding of DE&I issues.
DE&I Organization We Support Through Membership and Sponsorship
- Bay Area Urban Debate League
- Black BigLaw Pipeline
- Black General Counsel Network
- Center for Legal Inclusiveness
- Charting Your Own Course
- Corporate Counsel Women of Color
- Council on Legal Education Opportunity
- Defense Research Institute Diversity for Success Conference
- Diversity & Flexibility Alliance
- Diversity in Environmental Law Series at Environmental Law Institute
- Just the Beginning Foundation
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- National Association of Women Judges
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- National Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association Initiative on Advancement and Retention of Women of Color