Our work for clients in the forest products industry includes:
- Advised pulp and paper companies and large global retailers on Lacey Act compliance, including supplier education, communication, and audits.
- Prepared comments to EPA on its proposed rules for formaldehyde in composite wood products on behalf of a wood products manufacturer and a wood products trade association.
- Wrote a compliance guide on the California Air Resources Board (CARB) rules for formaldehyde in composite wood products for a wood products trade association.
- Defended pulp, paper, and wood products manufacturers in federal and state enforcement actions.
- Provided counsel to paper manufacturers on compliance with the U.S. and EU treated article exemptions from pesticide regulations.
- Responded to NGO allegations regarding sourcing of paper and pulp from areas of concern such as Indonesia and Malaysia and from suppliers that are targeted as “bad actors.”
- Prepared materials (internal guidance, checklists) to assist compliance and marketing staff on environmental marketing claims, including the use of seals and certifications and logo usage guidelines.
- Advised developers of forestry offset projects on a variety of California Cap-and-Trade program matters, including successfully advocating before CARB on issues relating to the forestry offset protocol, providing compliance advice, and assisting with negotiating purchase and sale agreements for forestry CARB offset credits.
- Assisted a forest products trade association with a petition to EPA seeking an exemption for certain paper-making chemicals under the Chemical Data Reporting rule of TSCA.