Maddie brings over 20 years of experience providing strategic and solutions-oriented compliance counseling on a broad range of the United States and Latin American environmental, health, and safety standards.
Her portfolio includes compliance audit oversight and support, high-stakes enforcement matters, and transactions. Maddie founded the Beveridge & Diamond Texas office and served as its first Managing Principal. Fluent in Spanish, she leads the firm’s International Environmental Practice Group and co-chairs the Latin American Practice Group.
Maddie is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, editions 2015-2019; Who's Who Legal: Environment 2016-2018; and the 2017 and 2018 editions of Chambers USA Guide to the Legal Profession. Latinvex recognized Maddie as one of Latin America’s top 100 female lawyers from 2014-2018 and named her one of the Region’s top 100 lawyers overall from 2017-2019.
Maddie is a member of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee and maintains a pro bono political asylum and international human rights practice. She received the American Gateways 2015 Access to Justice Award in recognition of her work leading a coalition of law firms representing a Mexican politician and his extended family seeking political asylum and withholding under the United Nations Convention Against Torture.
Prior to joining B&D, Maddie was a staff attorney at the Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission (now the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality) and interned with the Centro Méxicano de Derecho Ambiental (CEMDA). From 1988-1990, she served in the United States Peace Corps in Guatemala.
- University of Texas - Austin (B.A., 1988)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Università di Firenze, Italy (Maestría, 1987)
- University of Texas - Austin (J.D., 1994)
- International Environmental Law Journal, Book Review Editor, 1993-1994
- Escuela Libre de Derecho, Mexico (LL.M., 1997)
- District of Columbia
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, recognition in Environmental Law (2015-2019)
- Latinvex, Latin America’s Top 100 Lawyers Overall (2017-2019)
- Latinvex, Top 100 Female Lawyers (2014-2018)
- Who's Who Legal, recognition in Climate Change Law (2016-2018)
- Chambers USA, recognized practitioner in Environmental Law (2017-2018)
- American Gateways, Access to Justice Award - Outstanding Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year (2015)