Natural Resources and Project Development
Beveridge & Diamond, P.C. helps private and public sector clients address natural resources, permitting, land use planning, and zoning challenges impacting residential, commercial, industrial, and infrastructure projects. From offices across the country, we provide sophisticated counsel on projects big and small, public and private, Greenfield and Brownfield, and local and national in nature.
Our key focus areas include:
- Alternative energy siting and permitting
- Brownfields redevelopment
- Defense of project approvals and permits in administrative and judicial proceedings
- Endangered species, wildlife protection and enforcement
- Land use and zoning due diligence and permitting
- Mining and mineral processing
- NEPA and state NEPA reviews
- Federal offshore and onshore oil and gas development
- Stormwater management and permitting
- Regulatory takings
- Transportation infrastructure planning and development
- Wetlands permitting and regulation
- Partnered with the State of Maryland in successfully devising, implementing, and defending a strategy for approval of a highly controversial 18-mile highway. The Intercounty Connector project created an unprecedented process of collaboration and cooperation among at least two dozen federal, state, and local agencies.
- Served as outside counsel for state departments of transportation, state water commissions, and metropolitan planning organizations on infrastructure policy and development.
- Supervised the complex EIS and Section 106 consultation process for the Verizon Center (formerly the MCI Center) on behalf of the Washington, D.C. Sports Commission.
- Assisted with the successful permitting of an innovative transmission line installation providing New York City power from a new 512 MW power plant located in Bayonne, New Jersey.
- Working with a client on wetland regulatory and permitting issues pertaining to a harbor development project in New York City.
- Assisting an energy company on a variety of regulatory matters pertaining to a proposed new 750 MW power plant to be located on Long Island, New York, including full support for the project’s environmental review, permits and land use/zoning approvals.
- Helped obtain local, state and federal permits for a 600 ton/day materials recycling facility on a 40 acre property, including an enclosed 80,000 square foot processing building in Massachusetts.
- Successfully defended a railway company’s proposed $250 million regional intermodal freight facility in Kansas against environmental group challenges under NEPA and Section 404 of the Clean Water Act.
- Advising an energy company on all environmental issues associated with the siting, permitting and operation of its multi-state pipelines nationwide, including best permitting practices and strategies to avoid or minimize regulatory burdens under the Clean Water Act and Endangered Species Act.
- Defended royalty collection actions brought by the Interior Department’s Office of Natural Resources Revenue against producers of oil and gas resources on federal and tribal lands.
- Advising clients on all aspects of offshore oil and gas production, from the initial leasing process, to operations and decommissioning activities, and other regulatory compliance matters.
- Helped a client successfully complete the NEPA process for a proposed molybdenum mine in Nevada, one of the first new federal major mining permits issued in many years.
- Secured land use and environmental permits for build-out of retail stores throughout Massachusetts for Fortune’s top-ranked food and drug company and one of the nation’s largest commercial banks.
- Obtained approvals for rental and for-sale, multi-family affordable housing projects and market rate single-family subdivisions in Massachusetts.