Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity and inclusion are core values at Beveridge & Diamond. We view diversity and inclusion as business imperatives. We are deeply committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in the legal profession, and are dedicated to partnering with our clients and communities to accomplish this goal.
B&D strives to foster an inclusive culture that encourages and supports a diverse workplace. We accomplish this mission by attracting, developing, retaining, and promoting to leadership diverse talent and by creating equal opportunities for individuals to live up to their potential and feel included as valued members of the firm.
A dedicated Diversity Principal (partner) guides our efforts, working with our Diversity & Inclusion Committee, the firm’s Management Committee, and our Managing Principal.
Our diversity and inclusion efforts include:
- Building a pipeline of diverse lawyers in the profession at large.
- Promoting a sense of community and value at the firm.
- Providing resources to support the varying needs and experiences of everyone at the firm.
- Promoting mindful engagement within the firm on diversity and inclusion issues.
- Providing all of our attorneys with meaningful work opportunities necessary to advance.
- Participating in legal industry diversity efforts, including, among others, ABA Resolution 113 reporting, Diversity Lab's Mansfield 2.0 Rule pilot, and the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity's Fellows, Pathfinder, and Summer Clerk programs.
- Supporting professional staff members' involvement in professional organizations such as the Association of Legal Administrators, Legal Marketing Association, International Legal Technology Association, and Corporate Legal Operations Consortium.
Some of the results of our efforts include:
- 30% of our principals are women (compared to a national average of 20%).
- 59% of our lawyers are diverse (includes women, minorities, and LGBTQ+ individuals).
- 83% of the lawyers who joined the firm in 2019 were diverse.
- Diversity Lab awarded B&D with Mansfield Plus Certification for 2019.
- A National Law Journal (NLJ) article published in March 2020, “We Want Them to Thrive: In Diversity Efforts, Beveridge & Diamond Pivots Toward Retention,” highlights B&D’s diverse leadership and continued emphasis on recruiting and retaining diverse talent.
- Vault's 2019 Associate Survey ranked B&D 4th among over 30 midsize firms for diversity.
- Law360 named B&D a Top Law Firm for Female Attorneys from 2015-2016 and again in 2019.
- The Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) recognized B&D’s innovative practices to advance diversity and inclusion in 2018 with its George B. Vashon Innovator Award. B&D also received MCCA's Thomas L. Sager Award in 2013.
- The Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) recognized B&D's participation in and support of their mission and programs with their 2018 Compass Award. The firm was also named to their Top Performers list in 2018-2019. In addition, a B&D attorney has been selected to participate in LCLD's Fellows and Pathfinders Programs each year since their inception.
- DRI recognized B&D's commitment to diversity with its Law Firm Diversity Award in 2015, and AT&T similarly recognized B&D's work with their Legal Department Diversity Award in 2013.
In addition, firm Chairman Ben Wilson, who founded the African American General Counsel and Managing Partner Network in 2012 and the Diverse Partners Network in 2008, has been individually recognized numerous times for his tireless commitment to diversity and inclusion. Savoy Magazine included Ben on their list of the Most Influential Black Lawyers from 2015-2018 and Most Influential Black Corporate Directors from 2016-2017. He has also been featured in spotlights or on the cover of publications including Diversity & the Bar, Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, American Lawyer, and Washington Lawyer. Ben's other awards for diversity and inclusion include the National Bar Association (NBA)'s 2019 Presidential Award; the National Association of Women Lawyers' 2018 Lead by Example Award; the United Negro College Fund's 2018 MASKED Award; the Defense Research Institute's 2017 Sheryl J. Willert Pioneer Diversity Award; the National Law Journal's 2017 Lifetime Achiever Professional Excellence Award; the Washington Bar Association's 2016 Houston Medallion of Merit; the Thurgood Marshall College Fund's 2016 Legacy Award; the American Bar Association (ABA) Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Profession's 2014 Spirit of Excellence Award; the ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources' 2014 Dedication to Diversity and Justice Award; the NBA Commercial Law Section's 2010 Outstanding Outside Counsel Award; and the Washington Lawyers' Committee (WLC) for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs' 2009 Wiley Branton Award.