Examples of Alan’s experience include:
- Served as counsel for a major pesticide manufacturer in a series of significant enforcement actions brought by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and involving the supplemental distribution and labeling of registered pesticides in the United States.
- Served as counsel for a major biocide distributor in its efforts to compel EPA to ensure proper regulation of a competitor’s actions in the marketplace and to require the competitor to cease sales of unregistered products.
- Assisted a major consortium of U.S. and international companies in its successful intervention on EPA's behalf in a lawsuit involving alleged violations of Federal Advisory Committee Act regulations.
- Provided advice to a major U.S. manufacturer of household products to achieve compliance with EPA’s requirements for antimicrobial claims.
- Counseled an international seed company on the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) requirements for genetically engineered organisms modified using novel transformation technologies.
- Advised one of the world's largest privately held companies on EPA’s regulatory framework for a new agricultural pesticide product and USDA’s legal requirements for imported biological organisms.
- Assisted a top U.S. food supplier in the development of a comprehensive legal strategy to support its development of an innovative biotechnology solution to a devastating global crop disease.
- Advised a foreign microalgae cultivation company on the EPA and FDA manufacturing process requirements for imported dietary ingredients, including pre-market notification requirements for new dietary ingredients.
- Counseled a dietary ingredient manufacturer on the types of health claims, nutrient content claims, and structure/function claims that may be made in connection with food products and dietary supplements.
- Helped one of the world's largest chemical producers evaluate and comply with federal pre-market and labeling requirements applicable to antimicrobial substances intended for use as food or feed additives.
- Advised a foreign investment group on the U.S. and global legal requirements for dietary supplement products and functional foods as part of the pre-acquisition due diligence process.
- Represented a leading veterinary medicine manufacturer in an EPA enforcement action involving alleged product chemistry inconsistencies and product misbranding violations.
- Counseled a Fortune 500 company on the EPA requirements applicable to the U.S. import and export of ethanol fuel.