Legal advice on corporate sustainability and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) policies, programs, and communications.
What sets Beveridge & Diamond apart from other firms is our 45+ years of focus on environmental, health, and safety (EHS) compliance and enforcement. This allows us to help clients craft sustainability and ESG strategies and goals on a foundation of compliance and with insights into potential risks and best practices across industry sectors. Also, our deep experience with environmental management systems equips us to spot and troubleshoot issues before they derail a company’s operations.
B&D sponsors the Association of Corporate Counsel's Environmental & Sustainability Network and engages with corporate sustainability officers through, among other venues, our longtime involvement with the World Environment Center. We are also a founding member of the Law Firm Sustainability Network.
We work with the legal, corporate, communications, and EHS teams at large and small companies across industries—including specialty chemicals, pharmaceuticals, electronics, manufacturing, electric power, oil & gas, consumer products, and retail—as well as municipalities. We also work with investors and private equity firms with ESG goals.
Our services include:
- Advising on mandatory and voluntary disclosures of ESG information.
- Developing benchmarking reports and conducting gap analyses relevant to other industry players.
- Developing and substantiating environmental marketing claims.
- Advising on carbon neutrality via offsets, renewable energy usage, and mitigation of climate impacts.
- Overseeing responsible sourcing and supply chain due diligence, including relating to conflict minerals, forced labor, and human rights.
- Establishing and reporting on sustainability goals.
- Managing initiatives associated with implementing ESG policies and practices (e.g., waste minimization, recycling, use of plastics).
- Conducting risk assessments.
- Defending against claims brought by government entities, regulators, investors, NGOs, competitors, and consumers.
- Litigating claims regarding state consumer protection laws and climate change impacts.
- Interacting with federal, state, and international regulatory bodies and trade associations.
- Tracking shareholder resolutions seeking improved sustainability performance.