Tim’s practice focuses primarily on environmental and natural resources litigation before federal and state courts and adjudicatory bodies.
He represents and advises public and private clients in regulatory, litigation, and other matters involving many federal and state environmental and natural resources laws, with a particular emphasis on Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), the Endangered Species Act (ESA), and the Clean Water Act. Tim is the Managing Principal of Beveridge & Diamond's Baltimore office.
In addition to his work for clients, Tim is also active in state and federal professional activities. He is an adjunct Professor of Law in the Environmental Law Program at the University of Maryland School of Law where he teaches a seminar in Federal Public Lands and Natural Resources Law. He has also served as the Chair of the Environmental Law Section of the Maryland State Bar Association and as a Vice-Chair of the Endangered Species Committee of the ABA’s Section on Environment, Energy, and Resources.
Tim came to B&D in 2006 from Portland, Oregon, where he represented clients in matters involving environmental and natural resources law and litigation for five years with a regional Pacific Northwest law firm.
- Fairfield University (B.A., 1993)
- Lewis & Clark (J.D., magna cum laude, 2000)
- Certificate in Environmental and Natural Resources Law
- Cornelius Honor Society
- Environmental Law Review 1998-2000, Managing Editor 1999-2000
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court – Colorado
- U.S. District Court - Maryland
- U.S. District Court – Oregon
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Washington
- American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources Endangered Species Committee, Vice-Chair (2003-2010)
- Maryland State Bar Association Environmental Law Section, Member (2006-present), Chair (2010-11), Section Council (2006-2012)
- Oregon State Bar Administrative Law Section, Executive Committee (2003-2005)
- Oregon State Bar Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section (2001-present)
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America©, a Best Lawyers® publication, recognition in Environmental Litigation (2020-2022)
- "CWA Citizen Suits: Notice, Standing & Interpleading Third Parties," webinar (March 2018)
- "The Water Quantity-Water Quality Nexus: Two Sides of the Same Coin or Zero-Sum Game?" presented at National Association of Clean Water Agencies (NACWA) National Clean Water Law Seminar, Savannah, GA (November 2017)
- “NEPA and Other Environmental Implications for Upstream Oil and Gas Operations,” presented at EUCI Oil and Gas Production on Federal Lands Conference, Denver, CO (March 2013)