- Federal enforcement and underground storage tanks: Helped a Washington, DC area university resolve EPA allegations associated with underground storage tanks efficiently and expeditiously, while minimizing penalties, and helped the university to evaluate its related compliance.
Disposal of radiological and medical wastes: Represented Howard University on environmental matters relating to the handling and disposal of nuclear and medical waste. The Firm represented a major West Coast university on similar issues arising out of wastes generated by university laboratories.
- Defending contamination claims and resolving liability: Successfully represented American University in an extensive investigation and clean-up by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers concerning the previous use of university and adjoining property for World War I-era experiments using chemical and biological weapons, contributing to a comprehensive resolution to related liability issues.
- Permitting cogeneration facilities: The Firm’s attorneys have experience with the permitting of cogeneration facilities at public universities.
- Site acquisition and local permitting: Represented the foundation of a community college in the Boston suburbs in its relocation of a major technical school from a leased site to one owned and constructed by the foundation and leased to the college.
- Site assessment and remediation: Represented a Massachusetts-owned college in the assessment and remediation of an historic oil/hazardous materials spill.